Why take Feldenkrais Lessons?
Influenced by yoga and martial arts in the middle of the last century, Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais developed a series of lessons designed to improve life through movement. His approach was to encourage conscious attention to small movements. By engaging the brain and nervous system, people learn in a simple, pleasurable way. He summed up his method in the following way:
Make the impossible possible, the possible easy, and the easy, elegant.
Learn how to bring more ease into your daily movements: breathing, walking, turning, reaching. Join Susan for Awareness Through Movement® group classes and individual Functional Integration sessions on expanded breathing, safer pelvic movement, freeing your back and more.
Awareness Through Movement® Classes
All group classes are based on 45 minutes lessons, focusing on easy movements, done gently with awareness and many rests, to reeducate the brain, nervous system and muscles.
Subscribe here to receive or check monthly class announcements.
"The exercises are so simple and ingenious they lead on to others which one can invent in the same style."
- Online group classes using a Zoom meeting link (provided upon reservation and payment).
- Classes resume on September 6th, 2022.
Click here to reserve your spot in class.
Functional Integration® Sessions
- Feldenkrais Center of Portland
Online, NE Portland and Gold Beach, Oregon.
- By appointment only. Portland appointments are booked through the Schedule page. For Online and Gold Beach appointments, call or text Susan at 503.313.9813.
- Portland $128/lesson
- Gold Beach $98/lesson
- Online $98/lesson
- I give Functional Integration® lessons to individuals, on a low treatment table using gentle, subtle, slow touch. During the current time of taking precautions to contain the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, masking is in accordance with the clinic requirements. Also, Online Functional Integration lessons are available. In online sessions, students will be guided through movements and rests to effect a customized change in movement patterns.
While the group classes are more comparable as a cross between yoga and exercise classes, the experience of customized individual sessions is more indescribable, but highly effective.
Often after a Functional Integration lesson, students will be amazed that they feel so different or good. They will say “But you hardly moved me!” This is because a change in your nervous system is more effective when the change is small. This is the opposite of “no pain, no gain.” Introducing a small change into the body’s nervous system has greater longevity.
See the “What is Feldenkrais?” article for more information.